Friday, April 27, 2007

Wild Horses and Eggs

The eggs are due to hatch this weekend. However, I'm hearing no peeping sounds coming from them, which doesn't give me much hope. Incubation is 21 days, but they can hatch a day early or late. If there's nothing by the end of Sunday, then I'm going to have to throw them out. Disappointing, eh?



Pinto trotting into Sunset
Geek Boy typed my name into Google recently, then laughed because I didn't come up as the number one result. Evidentally, his name is number one. I'm something like two or three. City Boy doesn't show up at all. He says that's because he doesn't prostitute himself like I do. Yeah...okay. He can call it prostitution, I call it marketing.

It's just six weeks until the Wild Horse and Burro adoption event in Monroe, WA. For some reason I felt compelled to offer my services in raising funds to bring Lesley Neuman up for the gentling demos. I'm not sure exactly why I did this. I love Lesley, and the BLM didn't have funds set aside for demos. When people see Lesley work the horses, it gives them hope and lets them see that it doesn't take a bunch of gimmicks to get the horse to work for you. I've watched her work at three different adoption events with at least half a dozen horses. They start out snorty and wild, but within an hour nearly all of them are following her around like a puppy.

And I suppose that's why I said I'd do it. Because I know how terrific these horses are, if just given the opportunity to trust. So many people are afraid of them; they've heard some horror story or another and have a preconceived idea about wild horses. But you know what? Anyone can get hurt on any horse. And when people see Lesley working with these wild animals, and see how much she progresses in an hour or two, it gives them hope.

Of course, I live two counties away from the event, so I'm running into a wall when it comes to finding businesses to contribute. They look at it like advertising, and since they're not likely to build clientelle from such a distance, they turn me down.

So today I put on my thinking cap, played a bit more on Photoshop and with Cafe Press, and I came up with a page full of fun products that will help raise much needed funds. Mugs, notecards, magnets...even a wall clock! All under $15. Of course, there are t-shirts and sweatshirts as well, including Carpenter Creek products and the crazy Psycho Roo to browse through.


It'll take ten items sold (well, providing it's not just stickers or buttons) to pay for a gentling demo. While there are three demos, if I can round up the funds for just one, I'll be one happy little wild horse lover! I'll be working on a button this weekend that will link directly to the fundraising page. If you'd like to help out and post the button on your blog or website, I'd sure be thrilled! Just let me know.

Tile Box with Grulla Mustang




Now...was that prostitution?

Have a terrific day, and don't forget to check back to see if we've gotten any hatchlings!

6 comments:

Dixie said...

I would love to put a button on my blog for you!

I love that first photo, Pinto trotting into the sunset. That is gorgeous.

Tracey said...

Thanks, Dixie! I kinda like it, too. Not sure it's terribly natural, but I like the color. I'll need to post it for one of the caption contests, don't you think?

And...I'm hearing peeping!

Anonymous said...

Great photo!

Wow! you took me back to childhood talking about eggs in th incubator. We hatched some that way. I'm remember the excitement when I would hear their faint cheeping noises. :-)

That sounds like a great event.

Angel said...

I just have to tell you, that I've looked at all of your sites and the pictures you post are some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. Is that the REAL sunset in some of them or do you add that later? either way, they are just fantastic. I love all of your horses.

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you have a button ready and I'll gladly post it in my sidebar!!!

Tracey said...

Karmyn, thank you!

Beth, you're so sweet! Sadly, not a real sunset...photoshop deluxe, lol! While we were at the corrals we did get a spot of sunshine, but it snowed on us most of the time. Brrrr...they swear it was 70 the day before we got there =)

Opal, glad to take you down a memory lane vacation. I know some day Darling will be able to look back and have similar fond memories.